Tuesday, February 22, 2005

a popular book

'I lie on the white wicker swing, Foxx's Book of Martyrs before me, reading aloud about the pesky papists piling huge jagged rocks on the faithful French Huguenots and crushing them, while listening to the Minneapolis Millers on the radio lost to Toledo thanks to atrocious umpiring that killed a rally in the third inning....Tucked inside my Martyrs book is a magazine called High School Orgies, lent to me by Leonard, opened to an ad for a cologne made from 'love chemicals' that will turn any girl to putty in your hands.'

The Minnesota reference is a dead giveaway as to the identity of this reader (he's a little better known than Mr. Gaddis). Has anyone laid eyes on Foxx's Martyrs themselves - I am unfamiliar with this interesting treatise.

I have had to return my copy of T.Recs a la bibliotheque and am feeling a bit like a Lake Wobegon denizen with no copies to be bought in Melbourne today...will have to get back to the library and snatch it back again. Someone has bought the last copy at the bookshop most likely, I wonder if some poor undergrads are about to study it.
Anyone ruminating on the text out there...?

3 Comments:

Blogger DerikB said...

Alas, I think I have become sidetracked from T.Recs. Too many things going on.

Perhaps I can return to it in a week. First I have a book review to deal with.

February 22, 2005 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger genevieve said...

Mmm, I have a large family party happening. No serious posting for me for at least two weeks I think.
Though I'm happy to read on once I get hold of the book again ( tout de suite I hope).

February 22, 2005 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Wheelhouse said...

Any Christian bookstore should have a cheap, pulp copy of Foxx's Book of Martyrs. FYI

July 5, 2005 at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home