Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Gaddis Shorts in Missouri Review


The latest issue of The Missouri Review, called “Experiment” (Vol. 27, No. 2), includes three previously unpublished short stories from William Gaddis.


Of the Gaddis stories, TMR editor Speer Morgan writes, “He wrote the three stories . . . during the '40s and '50s, when he was living a bohemian life in New York trying to learn his craft and find his voice. Writers become innovators by a combination of trial and error, accident, temperament, disappointment and discovery. These journeyman pieces demonstrate how naturally Gaddis experimented as he attempted different types of stories and voices. One of them reflects the New Yorker style of the 1940s; another is reminiscent of Beckett and the third is a sincere, moving story about underdogs, with echoes of proletarian fiction.”


This may be of interest to those that are looking for any little insights into our dour, enigmatic storyteller. I haven't read this issue yet and it doesn't appear that any of the Gaddis content is online, but I will post further if I get a chance to pick it up.


4 Comments:

Blogger DerikB said...

Bud, someone actually posted about that in the comments to "Gaddis Live".

I have pdfs. Send me an email and I can pass them along.

December 7, 2004 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Bud Parr said...

Guess I missed it. Sorry.

December 7, 2004 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger CAAF said...

hey Bud,

I'm slowly catching up on my reading (hi, Derik!) but am still behind. I was wondering if you'd be willing to do the synopsis for next week?

I tried to reach you via Chekhov's but couldn't find your email address.

December 8, 2004 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger DerikB said...

Hey Carrie. If you hadn't wasted your time with (scoff) Lolita. You'd be caught up... :)

December 8, 2004 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home