Monday, December 06, 2004

all roads lead to...

So, the relevant snippet from the Samuel Delany interview in Issue No. 1 of Black Clock:

Delany: Do you mean I love the city? I do! Yes, and reasons to love it, to seek it out, to leave the provinces and refashion your life among its squares and courtyards include the fact that sex in particular and satisfying relationships in general are more generously available there than among the forests, in the deserts, and on the plains--not to mention in the suburbs. Cities are the site of theater and art, which challenge God in their representations of complex worlds. That's why (Plato suspected and William Gaddis knew) they are fundamentally evil and godless--thank God!
This makes me wonder -- this being the sudden omnipresence of Wm. Gaddis -- if this is just like when your good friends move to a new town and everything suddenly seems to reference said town, etc. Or if it is far more sinister.

(dum dum dum)

I shall start reading again immediately.

2 Comments:

Blogger DerikB said...

Gwenda, any chance I could get a copy of that interview from you? Or, barring that, could send me citation information so I can try to get it through the library.

December 7, 2004 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger gwenda said...

Sure thing -- I'll email you.

December 7, 2004 at 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home