Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Shocking Confession.

I am a Gaddis virgin.

(I'm abandoning the TEV-favored royal "We" for the purposes of GDC.)

We're talking nothing. Zippity-doo-dah. Total cherry. I admit that only among friends.

Oh, I can talk a good game at cocktail parties. "Ah, yes, of course. JR. Sure, The Recognitions. Big books. Not for everyone." (If you're ever caught not wanting to admit you haven't read a book, nod and say "Not for everyone." It fosters an odd sense of camaraderie that usually discourages further probing, like you're in some secret club of Smart People together.)

So I am boning up, reading my primary, secondary and tertiary sources - even bought the last five dollar used copy of Fire the Bastards from Amazon. Doin' my homework. And with a fresh bottle of Bushmills and a series of color-coordinated shotglasses courtesy of my friends at Swink at the ready, I'm going to dive in this weekend. (I plan to visit the newly opened Duttons Beverly Hills to obtain my copy.)

Should be very interesting, as it usually is when I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'll try to stay out of the way of the experts.

3 Comments:

Blogger DerikB said...

I hope the experience is worth all the effort for you. This is my third time through. It took me 2 months of hard reading the first time and considerably less the second time. This time will obviously be slower but hopefully more in depth. It is not a novel that reveals itself quickly or easily, but even in blissful ignorance it is an enjoyable read.

November 11, 2004 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger DerikB said...

Also if you (or anyone else) needs any secondary sources (articles/books/etc) I have a pretty good collection both in electronic and print (that I could scan easily enough) sources.

November 11, 2004 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger sdRay said...

My name is Ray and I just started a new blog about how to go to confession. Its a place where you can chat about how to go to confession confidentially. I hope you will come and check out www.MySecretConfessionSpace.com. Thanks for letting me post on your site.

July 12, 2006 at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home