Thursday, November 11, 2004

Firstly... comedy.

Something to keep in mind when you start reading, Gaddis considered this a comic novel. Don't forget to laugh amidst all that erudition and fancy language.

And a call for assistance: Anyone know of a good summary or Goethe's Faust? I've never read it, but it has some connections to The Recognitions that I'd like to be a little more aware of. And since I don't have the time to read the whole thing...

Thirdly, if anyone else out there wants to join the club (you need an invitation to post entries but anyone is welcome in the comments), send an email to me or Rake or CAAF, and we can invite you.

1 Comments:

Blogger jon faith said...

(feel me tremble) I disocvered htis coterie this wet-weary a.m. and as i am on holiday this week I had the morning luxury of perusal. Perhaps I fit the criteria - I own The Recognitions (started it once) and I drink, ahem, prolly too much for my own good. I have been fascinated thusly by the enthusiams at alrge but also the erudition at tackling the questions surfaced i.e. the Goethe, Gounad and Powell queires off the bat. When do you folks begin? I have been on a post-colonial-desert trek these past few weeks (Zanzibar Chest-Aidan hartley, Book of Saladin -Tariq Ali, Jarhead Anthnoy Sworford, The Impressionist - Hari Kunzru, and now Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Such bodes well (imho) for a second attempt at the Gaddis.

November 11, 2004 at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home